Topic of the Month:
So, you find yourself on stage in front of your audience. Now what? You need to know what to do to grab your audience's attention immediately! When you give them something memorable right away, you get the audience on your side AND calm your nerves.
Seven Ways to Start Your Presentation:
Introductions that Work
1. Ask a Question: This technique will get your audience to pay attention and feel they are part of the presentation, not just passive listeners.
2. Tell a Story: Your story can get the audience to like and trust you – and give them a sense of how passionate you are about your topic.
3. Give a Quote: The right quote immediately connects you with someone famous, builds trust, and gives the audience something to ponder.
4. Make a Startling Statement: Want to grab your audience's attention immediately? Saying something surprising lets your audience know they're in for a very interesting time!
5. Refer to the Audience: Showing the audience you know why they are important will endear you to the room full of people you are trying to persuade.
6. Refer to the Occasion: Talking about why the audience is there lets everyone in the room know that you care about the event.
7. Tell a Joke: This method is not for the faint of heart. However, as we're fond of saying at Ovson Communications, "Humor is serious business." And it is. Using humor is a great way to get your audience to let their guard down and be more receptive to your message.
Each of these seven strategies gives your audience something memorable immediately when you take the stage. Don't make them wait for you to warm up to your topic. Give them value from the very beginning of your talk.
Change Your Beliefs About Public Speaking